When you walk in to a Best Buy here in Canada, and want to buy a $100 external hard drive, the process is as follows:
- Take the empty box on the shelf to the Nerd Herd
- Wait for about 10 minutes as some computer n00b tries to spell their email address to the customer rep: "All lowercase, no spaces, Jay-Eeee-En-Eye-..."
- Have some geek locate the real box with the actual product inside in the back storage room once he is done with the n00b.
- Pay for the product.
- Complain that you do not want to pay the extra $50 or whatever for installation services as there is nothing to install.
- Walk to the security dude at the exit and have him check your receipt and purchased goods, and tick them off one by one.
- Leave feeling very good about the trust in humanity and how you were treated.
When you walk in to an Apple Store here in Canada, and want to buy a $500 Time Capsule, the process is as follows:
- Walk into the store and locate the product.
- Pick it up, take out your phone and scan the barcode.
- Walk out of the door smiling because you were not being treated as a would be criminal.